Sunday 6 October 2013

first business blog(6-10-2013)


We have the first whole week of lesson this week, for the business course, we have introduction to business and management and business law for this term. Both lessons are different with what I think before, I thought business would be a quite boring subject. Like what I have in Hong Kong, business is a subject that the lesson is mostly about the teacher talking and memorizing a lot of theory. Therefore, I found studying here is very enjoyable.


In this week, we have to prepare a presentation about an organization; our group decides to work on Samsung, I was quite panic when I know we are going to work on SAMSUNG, as I am not familiar with the products of SAMSUNG.

For my study group, this is my first time to work with so many people that come from different part of the world. There is a boy from Russia, a girl from Indonesia, and girl from China and another girl come from the same place with me, Hong Kong. Therefore we all need to speak in English, in order to let everyone understand each other. Although it is a little bit difficult in the beginning, as we need to communicate in our second language, English, and we just know each other for around a week, which we are not really familiar with each other. But I still think this will be an interesting and valuable experience to work with foreigners and know more about them.

Go back to our project; my part is ‘how does SAMSUNG add value to its resources’, I basically just look up the official website of SAMSUNG and get all the information I need. However, I was quite shocked by how SAMSUNG put resource in the research and development team, such as I never thought of  there will be so many research center around the world, which I thought there are only one research center in Korea before.

Moreover, I also look up some basic information about SAMSUNG, which make me think that SAMSUNG really is legendary company. Because when SAMSUNG is founded in 1938, it was just a small trading company with only forty employees and it was trading fruit and vegetable! SUMSUNG just started to enter into the electronics industry in the late 1960s. For the rise of SAMSUNG, I think it’s started from 1980s, which it’s started to put a lot of resource on technological research and development. After that, SAMSUNG gain a huge success around the world. The development of SAMSUNG really amazed me, especially the fact that turned from small trading company to nowadays an international organization which became the world's largest mobile phone maker by unit sales(in 2012).

File:삼성상회.jpg

(The headquarters of Samsung in the late 1930s)

What a huge difference between these two pictures taken between 80 years.


(The promotional sign of SAMSUNG in times square, New York)

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating post Sonia, well done! I have learned something new which is really interesting...I had no idea that Samsung used to trade fruit and veg.

    Your post is very good.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete